Monday, July 4, 2011

reviews on makeup artists

as you know or if you notice, i'm a cheapskate here.
but at the same time, i love beautiful things.
so that makes it clear of why i did a lot of DIYs for the wedding.

but i can't DIY my makeup because i don't have enough skills and tools for that.
plus, i don't want to have to worry about my makeup and i think that i deserve to be pampered on my wedding day.
so let's just let the experts do that for us, lovelies.
just sit back while a professional takes care of your makeup.
trust me, you don't want to deal with all the stresses that come with doing your own makeup.

the other day, i've promised to write reviews on my makeup artists, right?
so this is it.

there are two important things for me when choosing the right makeup artists.
1st - the makeups (duh, of course!).
and 2nd - the rates.

being a cheapskate, i don't want to spend a huge amount of money just to pay for my makeup.
well, if you are really capable and you can afford expensive makeups, why not?
but obviously, i am not.

still, i don't want to take risk and settle for an "include-everything package".
you know, there are loads of wedding packages in the market where you just have to pay a sum of money and you'll get everything from foods to makeup to photographer to pelamin and whatnot.

i've booked my makeup artists, months prior to the wedding.
mind you, you have to be really really fast and speedy in this.
or if not, you'll not be getting makeup artist that you always wanted.
it's like a wedding hall, once you have the date, quickly book your wedding venue and the makeup artist.

so babbling no more, aishah.
let's just tell my readers, who are the chosen makeup artists for my wedding.

Munie Ahmad
event: nikah and at-home reception

i knew her since 2004.
yes, that was before she became a makeup artist.
i knew her from a beauty forum which i joined since 2003.
i still remember, she once asked me to come over to her hostel because she wanted to "main-main makeup".
at that time, she was just using maybelline and l'oreal makeups and it was just for fun.

starting from 2006 (if i'm not mistaken), she became more serious and started to blossom as one of the famous and salable freelance makeup artists in malaysia.
so since then, i've marked her to be my makeup artist for my wedding which me myself still don't know when.
i really love her makeup.
you can check out her portfolio here.
well, she's maybe bad in updating her website, but i must say that she's an expert in creating a natural looking makeup.

with munie ahmad, 2008, assisting her in a makeup lesson at mmu cyberjaya
makeup for nikah by munie ahmad
makeup for reception by munie ahmad

tantek an?
ke i perasan lebih? hihi.

Zila Ziman
event: bertandang

well, i think you already know her.
she's like my personal makeup artist hihi.

with zila ziman, 2009

she did my makeup a few times already.
main-main makeup banyak kali, makeup pengapit 2 kali, makeup tunang and now makeup bertandang.
i knew her for years and i think i don't have to come up with our history again and again hihi.

simply, she knows how to make you look pretty and at the same time matching the look with the overall theme.

classic makeup look by zila ziman

by the way, she did makeup my bridesmaids for at-hotel reception too.

makeup for bridesmaids by zila ziman

ohh speaking of her, makeup class by zila ziman is now open for registration!


you don't have to have basics in makeup if you want to join her class.
in fact, you don't have to have the tools (you can use hers!).
visit her website for further info, lovelies.

Kak Liza
event: at-hotel reception

i've booked her months before the wedding.
i was dealing with her directly through phone.
and i've paid the deposit right away to seal the booking.

okay, this is the only makeup artist which i don't know personally.
but she has good reputation and her portfolios are quite convincing.
her price is more expensive than my other makeup artists, she quoted me rm950 for my makeup + to prepare the groom, well, i thought of having the best makeup for at-hotel reception.

but TWO DAYS before the wedding, she called me.
telling me that she can't do my makeup because she had double booked on the same date.
i was like, ohh okay, this is so not cool!

she asked me to switch and have kak saidatulnisa because the other bride cannot afford kak sai, as if i can??
kak sai is more expensive, that's one thing.
the other thing, kak sai got an appointment with the queen in the evening, so she will make me ready at 3pm.
again, to get ready as early as 3pm for an 830pm's occasion is so not cool!

maybe it was my mistake for being less careful.
but i did check with her / remind her about my booking a month before the reception, and everything was okay at that time.

i'm not saying that you can't have her on your wedding.
maybe that was the first and the last time she made that kind of mistake.
or maybe tuhan marah i sebab i nak membazir.
padan muka i kan.

so in that 2 days, i have to find another makeup artist for at-hotel reception.
of course i can't get munie ahmad and zila ziman within that short notice.

i don't have enough time to do extensive research like i always did.
thus, i asked for recommendations from friends.
zila gave me a few names, so did munie.
and finally, i settled with munie's friend, fuzzy.

Fuzzy
event: at-hotel reception

i don't know her personally, but i always saw her with munie & cikli (my other forum's friend) in facebook.
i know that she's in the same industry, but i never checked out her portfolio before.

makeup by fuzzy

overall, i can say that her makeup was quite good except that she can improve on her 'shading' skill.
with her makeup my face looked almost contour-less.
well, contouring is a great way to sculpt your face (if done properly) and can make your face look slimmer than it is, which is very very important for a girl with a big face like me.

anyway, do check out her blog here.

okay lovelies, as i said before, if there's a makeup artist that you are comfortable with and meets all your criteria, book them as early as you can right after you set your wedding date.

because good ones' schedule should be pretty full :)

No comments: